Philippine Paranormal Site

The First Filipino Website dealing with Spirit Photography

Spirit Possession

UPDATE!  Philippine Priest in ancient battle against 'demons'

A blood-curdling scream echoes through the Roman Catholic chapel in Manila as Father Francisco  Syquia says a prayer of exorcism over a Satanic cult member believed to be possessed by the devil.

"It's very painful," the woman cries in an unearthly voice, her body contorting in an attempt to break free from the tight grasp of Syquia's assistants. After a few minutes, she falls silent, her limp body exhausted. The case is among hundredsdocumented on video and kept by Syquia, who heads the Manila Archdiocese's Office of Exorcism -- the only one that exists in the Catholic nation of 94 million people.

"She would have levitated had she not be restrained," Syquia said of the woman in the video, portions of which were shown to AFP during a rare interview at his office at the basement of a seminary in Manila.

Syquia believes he is in the frontline of the battle between good and evil on earth. "There is dramatic increase of possessions right now," said the 44-year old priest. "More and more the demons are gaining a foothold into this society."

While non-believers often joke about the devil, and demonic possessions are trivialised by Hollywood, Syquia insisted the torment suffered by those he have healed was real.

"I have seen scratches suddenly appearing on their skin, of inverted crosses on the forehead. These persons would be conscious at the time, and they tell me it's like razor cutting from the inside of the skin," he said.

"Demons could manifest themselves in many ways and could enter the human soul through occult and New Age teachings that were becoming increasingly popular in the general community," Syquia said.

The Catholic Church exorcism ministry has throughout history tended to operate under a cloud of controversy and secrecy.

Syquia said a conspiracy of silence had permeated the church in the past, with its leaders wary of being branded as medieval as modern science tended to classify possessions as medical conditions.

But Pope Benedict XVI has recently issued fresh guidelines encouraging more exorcisms and for the church to be more open about the issue, he said.

There are about ten Filipino priests authorized to perform exorcisms in the Philippines, but only Syquia  has a fully operational office that is backed by a staff of eight, including a lawyer and psychologists.

In his office, a bookshelf is stacked with tomes on the paranormal, while a glass-encased cabinet contains his tools for spiritual warfare -- his vestments, holy water, the crucific, and a saint's holy relic. The most potent of his weapons is a copy of the Roman Ritual for Exorcism, a compilation of prayers used by all the saints to expel and defeat demons through generations.

A figurine of Saint Michael the Archangel trampling on Lucifer sits on a shelf, a graphic reminder of his extraordinary job.

Syquia was ordained only 11 years ago, after he had already obtained a degree in psychology at one of the Philippines' leading Catholic universities. The second of four sons of a former diplomat, he said he left a comfortable life in one of Manila's exclusive gated communities and employment in a family-owned business after he heard God's call to serve the church.

Growing up in a modern household, he and his four brothers did not believe in possessions -- which were made famous in the 1970s Holywood film "The Exorcist."

But Syquia said he had always been fascinated by paranormal activities and devoured entire books on the subject.

After he was ordained in 2000, Syquia said he was posted at a Manila church where, out side its premises, occult practitioners -- including spirit mediums, oracles and faith healers -- also thrived.

His first case came when a man singled him out from a group of priests and asked for deliverance after confessing that he had been deep into occult practices. How the man knew his name was a mystery to Syquia, although he said deep in his heart he knew -- just a week earlier he had begun studying a book on exorcism that he had bought long ago.

Syquia sought guidance from the local bishop, who promptly granted him the authority to carry out an exorcism guided by his knowledge of psychology.

"I realized God was leading me to this path. I have treated hundreds of hundreds  of cases since then." he said.

Syquia recalled an accomplished female doctor who said she was befriended by demons that had appeared to her as benign dwarves that showered her with good luck in the form of financial rewards. Her troubles began when she decided to return to the Catholic Church and offer all her blessings to God.

Soon after, the demons took over her body for hours at a time, while unexplained paranormal activity began terrorizing members of her family, Syquia said.

"When the time to bless her with holy water a voice that wasn't hers shouted for us to stop," he said.

"What really scared me was that this was the first time that I saw something very alien in her eyes. I was looking at something else. It was totally evil."

The voice taunted Syquia and told him to return to his mansion and rich family, personal details that were unknown to those in the room, he said.

"We will never leave her," the demon said, according to Syquia.

Syquia said a barrage of prayers eventually forced the demon out, with the woman now a good friend and church volunteer.

"With God by your side, you can do no wrong," he said.

Source: By Agence France-Presse, MSN News Updated: 4/14/2011

Spirit Possession & Exorcism in Iloilo               Farmer Possessed by Devil

THIS is a true story of a child possessed by the devil, as told by the man who did the exorcism. This story is stranger than fiction and too good to be true – but the man involved is not an ordinary story-teller. Rather, he is someone who can be relied upon, a very distinguished gentleman, politician and a religious leader – former Governor Rafael “Nonong” Palmares of Iloilo.

He was laughing when he told the story to us over coffee at Taza de Oro. He forewarned all of us who were listening to believe it or not but swore that it was not a “tall tale.” He was afraid that some people may think that he was “crazy” for telling a story entirely out of this world.

Palmares is very well versed with the Bible, both the Old and the New Testaments. His story came about when someone in the crowd started telling stories about the devil. His turn came and in all seriousness he told us the story of Saturnino, whose family name I can no longer remember. The child comes from a poor family in Villabeach, a barrio of Molo, which is but a few kilometers away from Iloilo City proper. Satur, by the way, according to many is the other name of Satan or the devil himself!

Anneliese Michel (September 21, 1952 – July 1, 1976) was a German Catholic woman who was said to be possessed by demons and subsequently underwent an exorcism. Two motion pictures, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Requiem, are loosely based on Michel's story.

It was a very bright morning last September when someone was knocking at Palmares door. He opened it and there was this man who was very frantic, asking for his help because his son was very sick. Being a politician, it was his obligation to please the man by going with him to their shack in Villabeach. There he saw the pitiful sight of a young child being held by four men twice his size. The child showed so much strength that the four men had a hard time trying to hold him back. The four were trying to pin the child down to his bed which was at the center of the small shack where they lived.

The child was staring pointblank, not winking and was gritting his teeth and trying to bite the men who were holding him back. He was shouting that he was Satan and that he had come to kill everyone. Palmares got scared and he had goose pimples all over him upon seeing such an unusual occurrence. He had seen films on people possessed, on exorcism. Could this be the work of the devil? He began to wonder. Was this child possessed by the devil? Palmares made the sign of the cross and prayed. As he did this, he noticed that the child winced and tried to stand up as if to bite him.

Palmares had to do something. So he bade leave and promised them that he would come back. He went to the town’s parish priest and told him the story, asking him if he could do something. The priest laughed and said that the child must be crazy.

But something had to be done right away. Palmares, a very religious man, thought that perhaps he could do something by himself. Perhaps he could do the exorcism himself. He prayed and prayed hard, but how should he do it, he asked himself. He knelt down in prayer to cleanse himself of all sins. He never prayed harder. He knew that he was going to fight the devil and with the failings of mortal men – he might lose and who knows what might happen to him!

When his family learned of his plan, they pleaded with him not to proceed. His close friends and advisers called the idea “preposterous.” But to Nonong, this was a challenge which could not be ignored. To him, saving the soul of a child would be like the rebirth of a new man.

Palmares proceeded to the shack in Villabeach where Saturnino was suffering. There he was, the poor child being held by four men but this time his hands and feet were tied to the bed. Palmares started the exorcism by praying out loud all the prayers he could think of. Slowly, he held the boy’s hands as if to transmit his own strength and spirit into the boy. He noticed that everytime he mentioned the name of the Lord and asked for the intercession of the Holy Virgin – there seemed to be relaxation of the boy’s body. After a while, the boy’s muscles began to relax somewhat and the ever staring eyes would close every now and then. Palmares felt very much relieved after the first session.

He went home that night very tired. He could not sleep. When finally he was able to sleep, he dreamt terrible dreams. He tossed and tossed in bed and felt so heavy as if the whole world was on top of him. After that virtually sleepless night he started planning what to do next.

He went to church, prayed to the Lord, at the same time asking for Mary’s intercession. He went to the priest and asked for some holy water. From the church, he went to Saturnino’s place. Although still possessed and still with that blind star, the child was already showing a little improvement. He was no longer as violent as he was on their first session. The four muscled men were no longer there.

Palmares took out the bottle of holy water from his pocket and as he prayed he sprayed it on Saturnino who started cursing and shouting. He resented every drop of holy water that reached him. The boy’s father then started to burn incense to help “drive away the devil.” The boy jerked and broke loose, picking up the incense which was burning like charcoal and biting it. His lips and hands were burned in the process but he showed no sign of pain.

Nonong took hold of the boy’s hands and prayed out loud, commanding him to follow him in prayer. He called upon the Lord to drive away the devil from Saturnino. Perspiration was all over Palmares and the boy’s faces. As the boy stared to Palmares, he stared at him too. Suddenly the boy fell asleep as if in a trance.

Palmares went home that evening happy and contented, thinking that he had succeeded – so he rested early. At early dawn, he was awakened by the crowing of the roosters. This time he was scared. He was hearing the roosters crowing in unison “I will kill you” in Ilongo. The crowing was not only once but several times. He thought he was imagining but he was sure he was not. Then there was knocking on their door. The child’s parents were there, informing that their child had worsened. They pleaded Palmares to go with them.

As they were reaching the place Palmares was amazed to hear the same thing that he heard from the roosters crowing The boy was shouting “I will kill you.” He prayed and prayed until they reached the house’ He felt so tired. He wanted to give up. But someone up there urged him to keep on. Now he knew it was either him or the devil. This was a fight to the end.

He knelt down and held the boy’s hands. He prayed out loud and asked everyone to follow him. He called upon the Lord, the Holy Virgin and all the saints he could think of for help. He pleaded for them to come and help him drive away the devil. The session lasted for four hours. He noticed that everytime he mentioned the name of the Lord, he could fell the coolness of the air and the child would seem to listen and ease somewhat. Then the child, as if by magic, became limp and went sleep.

Palmares knew and felt that the fight was over. He had won at last. The following daym Saturnino woke up. He was just like any ordinary boy, playing and unmindful of what have happened. Perhaps he could not even remember the ordeal he had undergone. Unaware of the morbid and weird experience, Saturnino now plays with the other kids in the neighborhood.

To Nonong Palmares, the whole thing was a big achievement. But everytime he tells the story to anyone, he keeps on asking – Will you believe me?

Source: Mod Magazine, Willie Jurado, December 30, 1977.                   

A 45-year old farmer from Samar last night committed suicide in Malabon, Metro Manila apparently to stop himself from killing more people after ‘devils’ supposedly entered his body and goaded to him to stage a bloody rampage.

Farmer Sofronio dela Cruz was trying hard to convince his son and his family to return with him to Samar, Leyte, last night when suddenly, devilish spirits took possession of him and he went on a stabbing rampage, killing his son’s father-in-law, and critically wounding his son’s mother-in-law, wife and seven-year-old child before killing himself.

Dela Cruz was declared dead on arrival at the Tondo General Hospital, while his male “balae,” Felipe Ligos of M. Sioson St., Dampalit, Kaliwa, Malabon, Metro Manila, died while being rushed to the Malabon Community Hospital.

Patrolmen Crizaldo Castillo and Rolando Pilapil said Ligos suffered 12 stab wounds in different parts of the body, while Dela Cruz succumbed to a lone stab wound in the chest.. Critically wounded by the deranged farmer were his daughter-in-law Marissa dela Cruz, 23, grandson Jayson and Ligos’ wife.

Marissa suffered stab wounds in her right breast and both arms and was still in a state of shock as of press time while her son, Jayson, suffered a deep wound in the right side of his nape. However, doctors pronounced the boy out of danger. However, probers were puzzled as to where Marissa’s mother was brought. Up to early this morning, no one knows her whereabouts. Not one of their neighbors has seen her after last night’s incident.

Dela Cruz own son, Ariel, could not explain why his father acted so weirdly. “Hindi ko kayang ipaliwanag kung bakit at papaano naganap ang mga pangyayari,” Ariel said. “Basta nung sinabi namin sa kanya na hindi kami basta-basta makakasama sa kanya sa probinsiya ay nagulat na lang kami nang bigla niya kaming pinagsasaksak. Mabuti na lang nung saksakin niya yung anak ko ay hindi niya ito napuruhan.”

 Ariel continued: “Nabigla kaming lahat. Hindi namin akalaing magagawa niya iyon. Masaya kami sa loob ng bahay na nagkukuwen-tuhan at nagbibiruan, tapos bigla na lang siyang nagwala.”

Ariel said they all tried to stop his father but he seemed to be too strong and in the possession of some strange powers. “Siguro kung hindi niya sinaksak ang sarili niya, baka marami pa siyang napatay.”  

Source: People's Journal, author unknown, date unknown. 

   EVIL SPIRITS: 20 QC Pupils trigger ‘Exorcist’ Hysteria

A Quezon City neighborhood was fear-stricken yesterday when 20 schoolchildren suddenly “went wild” and then “fell unconscious as if evil spirits took over their bodies.”

It was like a scene from the Hollywood movie “The Exorcist,” said a teacher of West Crame Elementary School where most of the “possessed” pupils were studying. Witnesses who were willing to swear by a stack of bibles claimed that not even the arrival of priests and doctors “could stop evil spirits.”

Barangay West Crame residents claimed that the “evil spirits” cast their spell in the neighborhood Friday last week. Joy Bolante, a 12-year-old pupil of West Crame Elementary School, was attending classes when she claimed she saw a “tall kapre standing under an old sampaloc tree near the school’s herbal garden.” After telling her classmates about it, Joy fainted. Classmates swore they heard her talk (while she was unconscious) in a man’s voice. Teachers and classmates took Joy home that same day.

Last Sunday, neighbors said Joy was taken to the Camp Crame Hospital, then to Camp Crame chapel to “drive out the evil spirit in her.” The old folk in the neighborhood said the “evil spirit,” which allegedly “lives” in the trunk of the sampaloc tree, “apparently got mad” after Joy and other schoolchildren burned garbage near the tree.

After Joy fainted Friday, nothing more happened. But at 9 a.m. yesterday, the neighborhood was gripped with fear when another girl fainted and started talking while she was unconscious. The voice, according to the neighbors, “identified herself as Jane.”

The neighbors claimed the “evil spirit” then transferred from one child to another.” Among the victims were Jean delos Santos, 13; Geraldine Factora, 12, Malet Juarez, 12; Wilma Canuto, 13; Gladys Cabata, 13; Mayette Gonzales, 12; Sandy Sevilla, 13; a certain “Joy,” “Liwayway” and “Loreta,” all pupils of Camp Crame Elementary School in West Crame. Five classmates of Joy were also “possessed,” said the witnesses.

Jean, Geraldine, Mayette, Gladys and Wilma were attending classes when they started “howling and screaming,” then becoming violent by hurling objects in the classrooms. Priests, doctors and cultists arrived. “Kaso nang dumating ang mga pari at mga faith healer na may dalang santo, kung sinu-sino ng bata ang sinapian, kung kaya’t lalong nagkagulo dito,” a resident said.

Residents said that while a priest and a cult leader were “conducting exorcism,” two schoolchildren fainted. As of 2 p.m. yesterday, the “evil spirit” continued to transfer from one child to another, said the “shocked” neighbors.

Source: Tempo, El. U. Macaspac, January 28, 1993


  Possessed Dentist Survives Death Leap


A dental technician jump from the fourth floor of a five-story building in Sta. Cruz, Manila and survived. His relatives said the man was possessed by evil spirits.

Conrado Curibia, 34, stood for half an hour on a window ledge before jumping, ignoring the pleas of onlookers who had gathered around the building. Curubia landed head first on another ledge two floors down. He stood up. Before he could take another jump, fireman Mario Medina and paramedic Florencio Alcos rushed to the second floor window and grabbed him.

Curibia refused to be taken to a hospital and locked himself in a room on the second floor where he worked. “Tatlong araw ng kinumulam ang kuya ko ng dati niyang girlfriend,” claimed Curibia’s brother Rogelio, 18. He said his brother recently broke off with his 35-year-old girlfriend. MB

Source: Manila Bulletin, author unknown, date unknown.




Recent Videos

1016 views - 0 comments
721 views - 0 comments
794 views - 0 comments
725 views - 0 comments